Wednesday, May 15, 2019

B is for Books




B is for Books

            I’m not addicted to alcohol or drugs or chocolate, but I am addicted to reading. And since I have that addiction, I have far too many books. I must confess that I hardly ever hesitate to buy an interesting book that a friend recommends or that I see on Goodreads or that pops up in my email, causing my credit card to almost always never get below $700. Don’t get me wrong. Not all of that debt is because of my carelessly purchasing books. Much of it is for Christmas “giffs” for family.

            I almost always have three or four books going at the same time: one for reading in bed, one for reading when the TV is on, and a couple of more that are started but read only occasionally. Needless to say, it takes me longer to read these than the others.
           
            I belong to an online book club – the Modern Mrs Darcy Book Club – and Anne Bogel, the creator of the book club, suggests a gazillion books every week, with one book, plus the “flight” books (books that are related to the theme of the month’s selection), “assigned” every month. At the end of the month, we have a webinar on the month’s selection, sometimes with the author joining in on the webinar. Usually the webinar lasts for an hour, but sometimes our chatty leader goes over. I have no idea how I found this online club, but I’m happy that I did.

            Just this morning (May 14, 2019) we had a webinar in which Anne talked about the books that she has put on the Summer Reading Guide . . . thirty books that she suggests that we read. She’ll send the list to us via email, but I took down the titles of about ten of them and immediately added them to my Goodreads “Want to Read” list. I think I have thirty or so books on that list. My problem is that I don’t have the funds to order or even to buy at Book Mountain, my favorite used bookstore. It seems as though a book from Amazon comes almost every day, adding to my credit card total. As I said earlier, I’m addicted to reading!

            I have no idea how many books Frank and I have. Maybe I’ll count someday, but not right now. In my office, I have them sort of divided into categories: old books from teaching and sales repping, books on writing, books that friends and relatives have written, those on grief (mainly about losing children, of course), those that I’ve read this year (nineteen as of today) and in years past, books that I want to read. In our bedroom and in the guest room, I have bookshelves with the volumes divided by authors. We love to read authors who have written lots of books, trying to read all of them . . . authors like David Baldacci, Lee Child, Vince Sparks, Harlen Coben, Mary Higgins Clark, Ken Follett, and many more. Both Frank and I are readers, and the good thing is that we usually like the same books.

            Before I close on BOOKS, I’ll have to tell you a secret. I read so many books and my poor old brain is getting so old that I can rarely tell you much about books after about a week. Isn’t that sad? I’m really thankful that I finally learned how to use Goodreads because now I can keep up with what I’ve read and remember a little bit about the books because I write a blurb about them when I finish.

So here are my bookcases. Not a very neat librarian, I'm afraid! But you can see how much I love books. And so does Frank!












This is what I WISH my library looked like:





No comments: