Thursday, February 19, 2015

Day 12 -- February 13, 2015



One of the first things I said this morning was, “What are we doing today?” Frank’s answer, “I don’t know. I have some writing to do.”

Now, that was a strange answer from my sweetheart, who types with two fingers and hates the process. Oh, well, I had several things that I needed to do in preparation for going back to work next week.

After we ate our breakfast – three Krispy Kremes for Frank and one for me, plus coffee, all in the room – Frank attacked his computer, and I worked on mine. About two hours later, during which time, he shouted, “I knew it! I knew it!”, he came to me and sheepishly requested, “Will you post this on Facebook tomorrow?”

I saw two pages of handwritten text. He hadn’t been typing; he was writing something for me to type. I read the first line or two and told him that he needed to read it to me. Many of you saw it posted on Valentine’s Day, but I want it here so that those who might have missed it can see the beautiful letter that my sweetheart wrote to/for me:

This will come as a surprise to many of you as I am most often the silent partner in this Sandy and Frank relationship. However, its being Valentine’s Day today, there are a few thoughts I’d like to direct to my sweetheart of almost 54 years, and it seems appropriate that I share them with her vast audience of friends that follow her (us) quite regularly.

English was my minor in college, so it’s not surprising on this day that I would remember Elizabeth Barrett Browning and her Sonnet 43, “How Do I Love Thee?”

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.
I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight
For the ends of being and ideal grace.
I love thee to the level of every day’s
Most quiet need, by sun and candle-light.
I love thee freely, as men strive for right.
I love thee purely, as they turn from praise.
I love thee with the passion put to use
In my old griefs, and with my childhood’s faith.
I love thee with a love I seemed to lose
With my lost saints. I love thee with the breath,
Smiles, tears, of all my life; and, if God choose,
I shall but love thee better after death.

Say , “Ahhh!” with me. But those were Elizabeth’s words, sweet, but not mine. Many of you may have a touch of my sweetheart’s heart from her many writings posted on her Facebook page as well as in her personal relationships with those of you whom she taught or has known through the years, but I HAVE her heart, though never fully deserved, for I’m not the selfless person she is.

So, to my Sandy . . . You broke your ankle in mid-February 1961, and your roommate asked me to carry you up the stairs in Nelson Hall each day so that you could meet your classes. Little did I know how you would then “carry me” through my life by loving me endlessly.

We had our first date on March 10, 1961, became engaged in July, and were married December 17, 1961. Life has dealt us many of its storms, but never have these storms dampened our love for each other, and life has been good. On this day, February 14, 2015, let me ask you, “Will you be my Valentine?”

I love you forever,
Frank

Of course, I’ll be your Valentine, Honey! I’ve been that for more than half a century, and I don’t have any intention of not being your Valentine . . . ever! I do need to tell you, dear readers, that on our first Valentine’s Day after we married, my sweetheart gave me a thesaurus. The letter is much more romantic, isn’t it? Just had a thought. Our first Valentine’s Day together after we married was our first Valentine’s Day ever.

I typed his letter this morning and emailed it to him so that it’d be on his computer. I could post it on Facebook so that it was from him, not me. I’ll post it tomorrow morning as we’re traveling.

We ate lunch at The Crab Trap, not far from our cottage. Frank had popcorn shrimp, and I had a popcorn shrimp sandwich and gumbo. I know you’re not surprised that the main souvenirs that we’re taking home with us are the pounds that we’ve added because of fried seafood and sweet tea!!

As was the morning, the afternoon was laid back. I mentioned Chico’s, and Frank knows how much I like to shop there, whether I buy anything or not; therefore, he rooted around in Books-a-Million while I went to my favorite ladies’ store. Nothing looked good on me today, so I bought only a couple of pairs of earrings. I’ll  be wearing them a lot, I’m sure. They’re just alike, except one is silver and the other, gold. Frank found a book on sale, though, and will begin another trilogy that will take him months to finish. He bought Book 2, and I ordered Book 1. We’ll get number 3 when it comes out in paperback. It’s a trilogy about World War I and World War II, but we can’t think of the title of the set of novels.

Dinner tonight was at the Hog’s Breath Saloon, where their motto is “Hog’s breath is better than no breath at all!” Ain’t that the truth?! We were actually a bit tired of seafood (can that be possible?), so we had ribs. Very good! Not quite so good as the ones that I had on the cruise, but very good. We were a bit impatient to get our check because we wanted to get back to the cottage to watch Hawai’i Five-O and Blue Bloods. Skipped the first one (Frank watched Megan Kelly, and I packed and cleaned the kitchen) and will watch it when we get home, but Blue Bloods, our favorite show, was just as good as it always is. We do love Tom Selleck and his Irish Catholic law enforcement family!

We were in bed early once again so that we could hit the road at least by 7:00. Tomorrow will be the last day of our real vacation. We would have liked to stay longer, but life in the real world is calling. I’m not looking forward to walking in the door at home, though. Many of you know that our sweet Maizy dog is no longer with us, and the old homestead just doesn’t seem right without her. My next composition will be “Memories of Maizy,” and I’ll probably post it on Facebook.

February 16, 2015

I’ve been a bit derelict in getting my writing done. That’s not unusual. Right now, we’re on the last leg of our trip and almost to Hwy 14 . . . just about 15 minutes from home.

Just thought I’d thank those of you who saw on Facebook Frank’s Valentine letter to me and either LIKED it or COMMENTED on it. I read the comments to him as he was driving, and he just smiled and smiled. I even read the names of those who LIKED it, and he smiled then, too. I’ll give you some numbers. As of right now, 172 friends LIKED it, and 43 made comments. I can tell you for sure that he was very happy!







No comments: