Thursday, February 19, 2015

Day 3 -- February 4, 2015



Today wasn’t the most interesting ever, but it was one of the most tiring, especially for Frank. Not complaining; just sayin’!

We left our beautiful Gage House in Marathon at 7:00, grabbing coffee and little muffins to satisfy us for breakfast. I was still feeling full after last night’s White Buffalo Burger, but you might say the food was preventive maintenance. I knew we wouldn’t be stopping very often because we had quite a distance to go.

This was one of the “miles and miles of Texas” days, and ten hours and 700 miles really made Frank and Ivan tired. Heck . . . Claudia and I were tired, and all we did was ride. I didn’t even sleep during the day even though I didn’t sleep well last night.

The most exciting thing of the day was an unofficial game of I-Spy between Frank and Ivan. Frank told our friend that he’d see lots of deer on I-10. They agreed to count the number that they saw. Ivan said he didn’t see any; Claudia saw one; Frank had seen one live deer, five live prong horns, and about fifteen deer carcasses when he quit counting; I didn’t even know we were playing,.

Frank didn’t really get tired until we got to the Houston traffic. It was monstrous! Just like a parking lot that moved inches at a time. The agony of big-city traffic wore him out, and by the time that we reached The Tremont House, he was beginning to get grumpy. But . . . after a little rest before we went to dinner, he was fine again.

Claudia and I decided that it would be a shame not to eat seafood when we were right on the Gulf of Mexico. So after resting for about forty-five minutes, we walked to Shrimp ‘n’ Stuff, a restaurant specializing in fried seafood and recommended highly by the lady at check-in. Ivan had stuffed shrimp; Claudia had shrimp fettucine; Frank ordered fried shrimp when he discovered that the fettucine had garlic in it; and I had fried catfish . . . the biggest order I’ve ever seen. Ivan helped me out a bit. I forgot to take pictures!

When we got back to the hotel, we checked with the lady at check-in just to be sure that we understood where we were to go to get the shuttle to the ship the next morning. She suggested that we go to the bar on the top floor to get a good view of Galveston. Absolutely beautiful! The only photo that I took was snapped there. You won’t have any trouble finding it!


Long day . . . and we were all ready to turn in early. The next day would be the real reason for our trip.


No comments: